EVS is an abbreviation for European Voluntary Service, a program of Erasmus Plus funded and supported by the EU.
How did I find out about it?
In Linz there was an information fair about going abroad and what opportunities there are. Among other things there was also someone presenting the EVS and it has several advantages: accomodation, food, pocket money and some of the travel costs are paid. What you have to pay yourself: nothing.
How did I find out about it?
In Linz there was an information fair about going abroad and what opportunities there are. Among other things there was also someone presenting the EVS and it has several advantages: accomodation, food, pocket money and some of the travel costs are paid. What you have to pay yourself: nothing.
Why Greece and how does the EVS work?
My decision to go to Greece was not really about the country. There's a database with projects all over Europe and you can apply for those like applying for a job. Projects in countries like Spain, Great Britain and France are of course really popular. Most projects just want you to write a letter of application and send you CV but sometimes they also ask you to fill in questionaries. Anyway, applying for a project can take up a lot of time. The second and "last" step of applying is a Skype interview. To have a visual: I got two "Yes" and sent more than 30 applications to various organisations. In general, there's always a sending organisation in your own country (in Upper Austria that's 4YOUgend) and a hosting organisation in the country of your project.
What do I do exactly in Greece?
Part of my project is working with children in a primary school. The other part is working with computers at home, especially radio broadcasting, video editing and website design. We also offer workshops to pass our knowledge on to other people. In the summer there will also be a holiday program and we'll learn how to sail. But maybe everything turns out differently than I thought.
Part of my project is working with children in a primary school. The other part is working with computers at home, especially radio broadcasting, video editing and website design. We also offer workshops to pass our knowledge on to other people. In the summer there will also be a holiday program and we'll learn how to sail. But maybe everything turns out differently than I thought.
Where am I exactly?
On Chios, an island not far from the Turkish coast. According to Wikipedia Chios is the fifth largest Greek island and has a coast line of 213km. For the time being I'll stay in Vrontados but that could change during my project. My flight was from Vienna via Athens to Chios where I was greeted by the organizer Dimitris and two other volunteers.
On Chios, an island not far from the Turkish coast. According to Wikipedia Chios is the fifth largest Greek island and has a coast line of 213km. For the time being I'll stay in Vrontados but that could change during my project. My flight was from Vienna via Athens to Chios where I was greeted by the organizer Dimitris and two other volunteers.
![]() |
| The small arrivals at Chios Airport (without any passport control) |



Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen